Monday, June 6, 2011

If you want something to be seen....

I recently interviewed with the awesome folks at Hazelwood East Middle School.  The interview was great the communication in setting up for the interview was outstanding, my experience was very well communicated.

Then I got to the interview.  I started the video and data analysis portion of the interview at around 10am.  At 11am they came in to get me for the panel interview.  The panel was great.  The the third question threw me:

"What strategic plan number from our grant application will have the biggest impact on student achievement?"  I froze.  I did not find the grant application, I looked everywhere trying to find it.  I spoke to common core standards and data-driven decision making and honestly said I could not find it but I know who wrote it and what a turnaround school is, and how many pages it was.  I tried to find it.  Then the building principal said "It's on the front page."

I replied, "Really?  I swear I looked for it I visited every team website from that front page and looked everywhere.

He replied, "It's right there..."

Go to the webpage to Hazelwood East middle school.  Can you find it?

Then, after reading over the page 4 times, there it was.  He was right he wasn't lying, it was right there, four little letters in the smallest font posible.....how could I have missed it....


A 300 page document netting the district over 1.7 million dollars is found and presented to the public and all stakeholders and possible employees in the smallest font possible in the smallest of areas.

I felt caught.  I didn't locate it.  I admit it, I will take part of the blame for not having read the document prior to the job interview.  I read MANY other things in preparation for the interview, I did not get a chance to read (let along find) that.

If you want something to be read, want something to be found, want to communicate something to your stakeholders:  Don't put it in small font and try to hide it on the webpage.

In addition if you would like your interviewees to have read that document, tell them.  Would you not demonstrate exemplars for your students?  Would you not communicate expectations from the beginning?

How hard would it have been to say, "Hey, make sure to check out the grant document on our webpage."?

I have not yet been called about the position, It's not looking hopeful.  I'll take the blame for this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment