Thursday, May 19, 2011

Log for today: Human resources and communication

When you apply for a job, isn't that application a statement that there are people that WANT to work in your district?  I would assume based on the number and type of job applicants I receive as a member of a human resource department it is a reflection on the status and interest people have in my district.

This post comes from an experience I had when applying for a position.

Last year I applied at this school district and was granted an interview.  The communication to me as an interviewee lacked detail.  I arrived early to my interview, I sat there and waited for almost 30 minutes before someone greeted me.  This means that I wasn't even recognized until 15 minutes after my scheduled interview time.  In addition when I was greeted I was asked to wait an additional amount of time.  Once the interview was over I was asked to complete a writing sample, not communicated to me as part of the process.  Now, this normall would not bother me but due to the timing of the interview I missed my entire planning period that day and would not make it back for my next class.  This lack of consideration and communication on behalf of the district really turned me off.

I made it to the final of the position and the final interview was even worse.  I didn't enter the interview until an hour after my scheduled interview time.  This was an evening interview so I did not have to be anywhere else, it was just very off putting and very disappointing.

I applied for two positions on two separate times this year to this same district.  I completed all the necessary paperwork, completed all the online documentation, had a number of current employees in the district e-mail the building principals at two different buildings.  I received no phone call, no e-mail, no communication about an interview, an interview process starting without me, or the filling of the position.

Why does this bother me?  

I have a level of expectation.  I believe in transparency and consistent and clear communication   I develop systems to give feedback and feel that this communication whether it's inside or outside of my district says something about how I value people, their time, effort and energy.

All in all, I will NOT apply for a position in this district in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment